Friday, November 4, 2016

Fox News Anchor Bret Baier Walks Back Clinton Indictment Claim "It Was A Mistake"


On Wednesday, Fox News anchor Bret Baier told viewers that not only is there an investigation into the Clinton Foundation by the FBI, he said an indictment was "likely."

Yesterday, Baier semi-apologized for the comment saying it was "inartful."

Today, Baier admitted the language he chose to use was plain wrong.

From Mediaite:

Fox’s Bret Baier apologized Friday for his damning reports about the FBI’s investigations into Hillary Clinton, namely his reporting that an indictment in the Clinton Foundation probe was in the works and that her server had been breached by foreign intelligence multiple times.

“Barring some obstruction in some way, they believe they [the investigations] will continue to likely an indictment,” he told Brit Hume. On Thursday morning he clarified that asserting an imminent “indictment” was “inartfully” phrased.

“That just wasn’t ‘inartful.’ It was a mistake, and for that I’m sorry,” Baier told Fox’s Jon Scott on Friday. “I should have said, ‘They will continue to build their case.’ Indictment obviously is a very loaded word, Jon, especially in this atmosphere.” He clarified that prosecutors, not FBI investigators, make the decision whether or not to pursue an indictment based on the evidence.

Of course, Donald Trump immediately seized upon the "indictment" comment on Wednesday and has been repeating it in his campaign rally speeches for days now. While Baier retracts his statement, Trump is doing no such thing.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle.


Site Meter