The latest Quinnipiac polls shows Democrat Hillary Clinton breaking the 50% barrier as she now leads Republican Donald Trump 51% to 41%.
While Trump is winning with men by 6 points (48%/42%), Clinton beats Trump with women by a whopping 24 points (60%/36%). As we all know, more women vote than men.
A similar scenario is found when comparing white versus non-white voters. Trump leads among white voters by 11 points (52%/41%), but Clinton gets a much bigger share of non-white voters. She currently leads Trump with non-white voters by 62 points (77%/15%).
From the polling results:
"We are starting to hear the faint rumblings of a Hillary Clinton landslide as her 10-point lead is further proof that Donald Trump is in a downward spiral as the clock ticks," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.
"Trump's missteps, stumbles and gaffes seem to outweigh Clinton's shaky trust status and perceived shady dealings. Wow, is there any light at the end of this dark and depressing chapter in American politics?"
More results from the survey:
• 90% say they've made up their minds regarding which candidate they will be voting for.
•A big majority of Trump supporters - 64% - say they are voting for Trump as an anti-Hillary vote. Only 25% say they are voting pro-Trump.
• 66% of voters say Clinton is qualified to be president, while 58% say Donald Trump is not qualified to be president.
• 87% of voters say Clinton is intelligent, where only 67% of voters say Trump is.
• 51% say Clinton cares about average Americans, where only 41% say the same about Trump.
• Trump's tax returns are giving him a problem: 74% of likely voters say Donald Trump should release his tax returns, including 62% of Republicans.
This was not a small poll. From August 18 - 24, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,498 likely voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 2.5 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.